*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Driving in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
metelmickey View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metelmickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving in Europe
    Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 5:23pm
that head lamp is not the same as a E66, as i drive a lot in europe and england i was hoping for a better solution than the horrible stick on deflectors. 
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:28am
If it is a 'Europen mess-up' then the 'mess' is due to the insular Brits driving on the wrong side of the road!

It is all very well to say that you do not intend to drive at night, but how about when it is raining hard, misty, driving through tunnels etc etc?  The Brits are too keen on putting headlamp dipping into the 'too hard' basket, rather than finding the facts, and doing something about it.  Les Gendarmes know that they can score a 'hit' on this any time they like, so it is worth doing for several reasons.

It's a pity the BMWCC does not have a contact with BMW(GB) to get information such as this, which many dealers cannot help with - maybe they are afraid to show their ignorance of a what may be a simple adjustment.

The answer may be in fitting - as on a VW Golf - auxiliary headlamp covers with blanked areas to stop the dip beam.  Whatever the answer, it is to the benefit of you - and other road users - to find the answer.

A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 9:11pm
Maybe I will not mess aound with the lights at all and can set them to the lowest, apart from the fact that I am 100% not spanner minded. I got all the other stuff, so interesting comments. I wonder if anyone has bee pulled for not adjusting them, or perhaps they just say they can if it is dark or wet? Sounds a typical European mess up with no consistant laws.
n
hennabm View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:29pm
I've never used converters on my 1er. I just put them to the lowest setting and have had no bother. I don't do much night driving but when I do and in bad weather I don't find it a problem.
I'm not sure how the glue wil react on the plastic lenses.

I have a hi viz in the car for every passenger and the additional hi viz in the boot should I carry more.
Last year I had a breatherliser or two, just in case.

I always go for the highest octane fuel.

Edited by hennabm - 24 Feb 2015 at 8:31pm
82 323i Henna
90 320iSE - died Apr 21
10 116d Sport
12 1.4 Punto Easy
89 240DL est
11 X3 3.0d SE
Roger123 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:18pm
Removing the upper cover on the headlamp from under the bonnet does not reveal a lever of any sort.  Further reading on the Internet suggests that there is some sort of knurled control which rotates the actual lamp housing within the headlamp.  This needs to be accessed from within the wheel arch, and further information states that this should be specifically set up to give the correct beam angle to the righthand side of the road.  It would need to be precisely reset back again for UK driving.

There are three aspects to this as I see it.  One, I can imagine it would be an onerous task to try and do this upon reaching foreign shores  -  it could be persisting down rain  -  who'd want to be mucking about under muddy wheel arches to do that!  Two, without some sort of test equipment how d'you know you've set it correctly.  And three, I've sealed all round the edges of those flaps in the wheel arches since they have previously let in water which badly misted up my headlamp glasses.

I think my easiest solution is going to be the stick-on deflectors...

John, after further reading I'm lead to believe (according to French law) that one is still supposed to carry a breathalizer, but the authorities (theoretically) cannot fine you if you DON'T actually have one!!  Work that out if you can! Confused
safe1 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member
BMWCC Club President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safe1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 5:40pm
Breathalyser proposed law(French) requirement was later cancelled, I think there was a Human Rights issue  under European law-----Dead
Gofastsafe
m3kos View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 4:39pm
On my e39 I had retro fitted xenons and it was a 30 second job to fligh the internal switch

I can't say for sure what yours are like but a quick search on line suggests it's quite simple
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:44pm
I have Xenons, I will have to look at my Alpina hand book but, I was under the impression there might be an adjustment in the case without the screw driver method. I got the triangle and is the other a not out of date first aid kit, then I need the breathalyser kit. Got some high vis bibs from work, so ok for that. Some Europe eh, when will just one body make it's mind up.I used to drive to Rotterdam, Antwerp & Hamburg years ago before all this needed to be carried. Perhaps it did and I just ignored it?

Edited by Norrie - 24 Feb 2015 at 3:45pm
n
Roger123 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:38pm
Thanks guys.  My gut feeling was to stick with the 95 Octane juice, so I'll give the 92 a miss.

I will take another look at the headlights.  M3KOS are yours xenons?  I was told it wasn't a DIY job on mine, but then BMW would say that, wouldn't they! Evil Smile

Norman, I would suggest carrying out the adjustment even if you don't plan any night driving.  I believe, by (French) law, you are supposed to switch on headlamps during poor daylight driving conditions, mist, fog, heavy rain, etc.

Is it still a requirement to carry a breathalyser in France?  I thought they'd dropped that requirement for the moment, but I could be wrong.

And also hi-viz jackets/tabbards are mandatory, and you must carry them in the cabin, not the boot!  Red warning triangle, etc., etc.  I could go on...! LOL
m3kos View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Norrie Norrie wrote:

Thanks very much, I am not going to be driving at night, but guess I should do it incase the French old Bill stop me? Going in June.

makes sense, french police do like to target UK drivers

don't forget the breathalyser kit 
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:20pm
Thanks very much, I am not going to be driving at night, but guess I should do it incase the French old Bill stop me? Going in June.

Edited by Norrie - 24 Feb 2015 at 3:20pm
n
m3kos View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Norrie Norrie wrote:

Ok can anyone tell me about adjusting the headlight on E65 please. I agree about the fuel, I only use regular on my old E39, but on the V8 4.4 I use high octane. Fill up before you leave UK!

Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:58pm
Ok can anyone tell me about adjusting the headlight on E65 please. I agree about the fuel, I only use regular on my old E39, but on the V8 4.4 I use high octane. Fill up before you leave UK!
n
m3kos View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 2:53pm
You should be able to adjust the light beam. on the e39's it was just a flight of a lever. o'm sure the new stuff is as easy 
so no need for stickers 

as for the fuel, its personal preference. i just always use the higher octane fuel 

Roger123 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 12:44pm
I'm thinking about a trip this year through France and Spain.

The BMW recommended fuel for my 645Ci is a minimum of RON91.  I am in the habit of using RON95 in the UK, but I notice RON92 seems to be available in Europe.  Is it advisable to stick with 95 or go for the (probably) cheaper 92?

As regards headlamp 'convertors', there appear to be two types.  The basic ones are positioned to block the beam dipping to the left using a cutout or tape, etc.  The other type is a director which I'm told 'deflects' the dipped beam to the right.  The latter type would seem more efficient, particularly if any degree of night time driving is envisaged.  Anyone had any experience using these 'deflectors'?
 Post Reply Post Reply