FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

E 65 warning light gremlins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E 65 warning light gremlins
    Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 6:04pm
Had car on charge E65 in garage over winter. Took it out started no problem, drove 150 miles and left outside overnight. Next cold morning put key in red light with image of battery appeared on dash. Said Alternator failure. Started car light went out, dove it 10 miles parked left it for 5 hours, started no light.

Put back in garage and on charge, left for one week. Put key in Red warning light as before came on, started car it went out.

Called BMW said bring car in, put key in no warning light started ok.

Car now with BMW to find the issue?
n
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

MHunt View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MHunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 9:01pm
I thought cars always lit a range of lights, battery light included pre startup, and then the lights go out as the engine fires ?

Are you saying that you don't usually get the light but now do ?

One thing to note.... If you ever get that light when driving stop immediately and check the belts. On some cars the same belt drives the water pump, and you don't want to drive without that.....
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 10:35pm
No the warning lights never usually illuminates as a single item. I know what you mean you put in the key and a whole series of small symbol light up. But when I put the key I get an audible warning and a single red symbol of a battery and the message alternator failure.

Thanks for the warning about the belts if the light comes on when driving, it does not. All the service work is carried out at specific intervals by BMW Alpina in Nottingham, I never take it anywhere else for service. It was last serviced in October and is not due for 8000 miles or another 6 months.

The local dealer who is investigating this issue, also provides a free car health check so I shall get them to look at the belt aspect.

Thanks for the advice.

Fortunately I have fully comprehensive BMW warranty, even on a 10 year old car, so not too worried as only pay the excess. If it is the alternator I think the supercharger has to be removed guy at deal said would be well over 1000 plus vat for parts and labour.     

Edited by Norrie - 15 Mar 2016 at 8:10am
n
MostlyHarmless View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyHarmless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 11:17pm
Hi Norrie
So, I just came across this post looking for e6# chat.   I see it died two years ago.  So what happened?  And do you still have the car?
Robert
e30 320, e61 M5 and e66 760

Midnight e66 760Li
Monaco e61 M5
Topaz e39 540i M Sport Touring - Gone and missed
Cirrus e30 320i SE (from new and faultless)
Latte C3 conv 5-speed
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 8:00am
The alternator was only partially charging, it is a water cooled piece of equipment and was replaced under BMW warranty. Evidently after a fair number of miles this is a common failure of a component on the E65/E66. I think otherwise about 800 pounds with the labour.

Yes I still have the E65 ALPINA B7, I still have extended warranty. Since this post I have had a new catalytic converter and manifold and a new automatic boot opening cylinder and pump fitted under warranty.

For me the rare nature of the car, in fact it was the only B7 registered in UK in 2006 makes it worth keeping. I have recently had all the seat refurbished and the car is in very good condition. I really only use it in conjunction with the Club and other car events.

Edited by Norrie - 13 Feb 2018 at 8:06am
n
MostlyHarmless View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyHarmless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:49am
Hi
Rarity does give one a warm glow inside. How much is the warranty if you don’t mind me asking?
Not that BMW would even consider a car with over 200,000 on the clock. When I did have a warranty on the M5 it didn’t cover the seized calliper or the idle control valves or the actuators.
My 760 is still quite new to me though and still getting used to it. Seller said the night vision wasn’t working but I like carrots and never needed it. I just pay them what her they ask and enjoy the difference between the two cars. I do miss my V8 though.
Midnight e66 760Li
Monaco e61 M5
Topaz e39 540i M Sport Touring - Gone and missed
Cirrus e30 320i SE (from new and faultless)
Latte C3 conv 5-speed
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:26am
In terms of the extended warranty, I have fully comprehensive which is about 170 per month, ouch I hear people say, but it has worked for me. The supercharger is something like 5K and lots of other expensive "ALPINA" parts. The warranty fully comprehensive for a vehicle in excess of 100K miles can only be obtained if the vehicle had continuous warranty fully comprehensive before the 100K, it also only applies to a contract whereby payment and contract is not broken. This mean one has to pay every month until one decides it is not longer wanted or viable. It does not apply to annual contracts.

Normally what happens is the there is a lower grade major parts warranty, so maybe some of the items you describe were not covered, I am only talking about BMW assured warranties and not RAC or Warranty Direct or any other offering.

I have had a no quibble speedy approved replacement part experience and I would recommend it to anyone who thinks it makes economic sense to. it is a mandate that the vehicle is serviced by an approved BMW dealer, I do that.

n
 Post Reply Post Reply