FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

how much for this Incredible rare gem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new memeber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much for this Incredible rare gem
    Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 9:16am
Hi All

I have just acquired a Mint 1995 (M50B20TU)520i touring. Only 41K miles. Every mot and service record, one Doctor owner from new and kept in a heated garage all its life. This car looks new, its immaculate – seriously. I would like to ask the members what price I should put on it as I have to sell?  (It was a present for my son who sadly wants a smaller car)

thank you
Matt (new member)
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 11:05am
Like all old cars, it is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

One presumes that you paid a sensible price for it, and so long as you get it back you should be happy.  Just because it is in unusually good condition for its age does not make it particularly valuable

Old cars are only worth what someone will pay - look at the silly prices now being asked for the E30 M3 - they are not worth so much to most people, but some people will pay it, thinking that as the market has now been rigged that way, someone will pay an even sillier price in a year or two.

Selling cars like yours is a matter of luck - finding someone who feels it is worth more than the average such model, but nothing is written in stone.

Edited by Mike Fishwick - 24 Sep 2016 at 2:10pm
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
gazza4266 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazza4266 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 7:42pm
I think it also depends on the rarity of the model.but as been said depends what someone willing to pay.good luck with the sale.
Martlet View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:24pm
£5300, plus Buyers Premium at 10% (£530) plus VAT at Standard Rate 20% (£105) = £5935
new memeber View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new memeber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:31pm
Fantastic – you have all been very helpful and I appreciate the advise. So I should sell as Martlet describes as I did indeed pay that for it at Britwells last week as I thought this would be the car for my son as a surprise (silly mistake). So £5935 it is. Sorry to push my luck with you kind people - but where would you suggest I advertise a car like this?

Thanks again

Matt – new member

thank you
Matt (new member)
AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 6:53pm
Good luck getting £6000 for that!
PaulW View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 1:08pm
... any photos ?
Paul
2003 E46 M3 Titanium Silver
'Drive with Passion'
Martlet View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 2:19pm
PaulW View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:47pm
Looks to be in lovely condition as you had indicated.
Sure there will be an enthusiat who would love to own that model, just as you had done when you purchased it.
My father owned an 1986 740 volvo saloon in the same condition as your 5 series touring.  I initially advertised it for 2.5k, even registered it with the Volvo owners club, but no takers in the end I sold to a dealer (big mistake!!) for £1100 who then advertised it for £2.5k and it sold within 2 weeks!
Be patient, the right buyer will come along.
Paul
'Drive with Passion'
richardbaxter View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardbaxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:59pm
Martlet

As Paul and Mark has said you need the right buyer, try advertising on Pistonheads, Classic cars for sale type of web sites and be prepared to take time, instead of looking at it as an old model some might say where could I pick up an estate car with 41k miles from new?

Lovely car for the right person….
Martlet View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 6:03pm
The car was actually bought by Matt (the OP), so I hope he will be able to take your advice.

I commented only because I was at the Brightwells Auction, and saw the car in person… it is indeed a lovely car, although I thought at the time that it sold for somewhat more than I expected.
I reached that conclusion based on my past BMW ownership… I have had a few E30s in various states of repair which I enjoyed fixing, an E23, a few E38s, and now an F01.
richardbaxter View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Club Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardbaxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 6:23pm
Martlet

Beg your pardon I should have checked back....
issus View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote issus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by AndrewE AndrewE wrote:

Good luck getting £6000 for that!

I suppose who is bidding , but if up against other bidders then it might get to £5k. Be surprised if more! Great colour tho'.
E46 320d Sport Myst Blue 054 reg - probably the best BMW ever
PaulW View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 9:33pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

Very difficult to define a price or predict what something, in this case a car, will sell for, even though the seller may deem it of value, above what would be gauged by the market at the time.  Someone for sure will buy.  It depends on how long you are prepared to wait for that one buyer.

If the car is not taking up space and you can keep it garaged (drive periodically) I would advertise as Richard has mentioned and sit tight and bide your time.  In the grand scheme, its a lot of car in exceptional condition for relatively little money.  You only require one buyer.
Good luck with the sale.

Oh and don't sell to a dealer!

Paul
'Drive with Passion'
thechef View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thechef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:56am
Bit of a late reply on this ! I was at that auction, I looked at it and a very nice car indeed, but I felt that it did sell for more than I would've thought !
I doubt that you'll make any profit, selling it at the mo ! however, you never know, someone may come along and give you a bit more than what you paid !
However, as others have said, its a great car, use it for a while, keep in great condition, and it's value may increase.
issus View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote issus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 1:25pm
According to the sale records on lot 86 - it went for £5300!
E46 320d Sport Myst Blue 054 reg - probably the best BMW ever
 Post Reply Post Reply