of Great Britain & Ireland
Forum Rules
Contact Forum Admin
Join the Club
Forum Home Forum Home > Cars & Registers > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

HELP! e39 Sunroof jammed open in the snow!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! e39 Sunroof jammed open in the snow!
    Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 1:09pm
Hi all

This is my first post as a new member :)

I have an URGENT query. I have a 1998 e39 525 M-Sport currently standing on my drive in the snow with a metal sunroof which won't close....:(  

My wife used the key to unlock the car this morning and accidentally held the key all the way round so it opened the windows and roof. 

The windows closed fine but the roof closed 3/4 quarters and then won't budge any further. Damn.

I've tried opening and shutting it on the roof switch but it just won't close any further. Also holding the wind deflector down but same issue. I've even tried pulling the sunroof shut with one hand with brute force while the switch is held with the other hand - but still no joy. I'm assuming there's something jamming in the runners but don't have time (or a covered garage!) currently to look into it. 

Help! Does anyone have any remedies????

I gather you can manually crank the roof shut with the S-shaped metal allen key in the toolkit? But I'm not sure how to do this and don't want to start butchering the roof trim until I know what to do.... 

Can anyone help?

many thanks in advance
Mike 

Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

E30 Register & Competition Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 1:25pm
Have you tried reset on the key and checked the fuse
E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
mjrg View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 3:00pm
Thanks Cabrio

Don't worry - just managed to sort. Figured out how to manually wind it shut. Phew! 

Need to sort the runners when the weather improves LOL 

Thanks everyone :) 
RParkinson View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RParkinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 3:54pm
I was going to suggest removing the cover between the sun visors and manually turning the mechanism to close it.  Glad you have figured it out.

In the longer tern, there are a number of small plastic guides that slide along the runners, there are prone to becoming brittle and braking which might be the underlying cause of the jam.  The parts required are not too expensive, but getting access to fix it is a bit of a pain.
2013 F06 M6 Gran Coupe
2003 E39 M5
1980 E26
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 5:40pm
I have a spare glass sunroof mechanism complete for an e39 if you get stuck cheers Neil v
E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RParkinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 5:47pm
The mechanism for the metal roof is significantly different to the glass version, not sure how many components are interchangeable, possibly not many!
2013 F06 M6 Gran Coupe
2003 E39 M5
1980 E26
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 7:23pm
Richard not as I am aware they fit as a complete cassette into the roof so for £100 he could have a glass sunroof that works rather tha. A steel one - how do you think they differ
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RParkinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 3:00pm
The section of the headlining is different, the glass roof just has a pull back cover, the metal one has a section fitted to the lid and a section that slides back.

The main control rails on either side are different.

The entire cassette is different.

So, if you were going to replace the entire cassette and mechanism, which is quite a big job, from a car with the same colour headlining then yes, you could do it. 
2013 F06 M6 Gran Coupe
2003 E39 M5
1980 E26
Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 7:00pm
To drop the headlong is not that big a job in anE39 and the cassette is only the fixing bolts in one complete piece but I don’t think the original poster will need them
 Post Reply Post Reply