FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

get it back to spec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: get it back to spec
    Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:33pm
got the car in 2000 for the soon to be wife , after 2 weeks off to reagal  for a superchip and wet nitros system . the car stayed like this until has a stainless steel system fitted,(garage owner wanted to use car to show people on the isle of wight what he could do, only had to pay for parts at cost ) use to work for f1 lemans race team,) in 2015 the auto gear box cable failed so the car was put away.the cars clear coat looked a bit rough an a few areas . in my old job if it was not right you would find out after 5 mins ,by then £100,000 of damage would have been done . so all panels off any rust removed and treated . ( as you dont see new panels for sale ). then its hit the net for all those small bits . have got a lot of plastic clips from the same people that i get my radio control stuff from ( banggood - all stuff is post free may help someone ) think it will take about a year as want to get it right .

Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:45pm
took the rear section of the exhaust off today so that i can take the rear frame out . ( so many bushes ) . on its last mot (2015 ) was noted some of the bushes starting to give up was going in to have them done before the cable failed ( paid for them , still in a box were the car goes , had a chat with him today ,  i will take it down and paint it all then around to him and he will fit all the new bushes then back to me to re- fit . had some paint turn up (290 code )  but may go to a darker blue  will do some tests first
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:18pm
did some test spraying over the weekend  (front wings ) as they had been rubbed down to get rid of stone chips and pull some small dents (isle of wight car parks - )  was  shocking how much the original paint had changed ( this was done with rattle cans, just to see what original colour looked like,) this will now be remove as spray kit on its way ,and paint in 5 ltr tins and clear in 5 ltr tins (much cheaper this way as well ). another 50 assorted plastic clips and some stainless steel  brackets and all new exhaust mounts turned up today , postman can see were all the bits he brings me are going. removed bonnet for more prep work as was a pain to reach parts.also did some fpv flying along the coast were i live to to relax after this week
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:38pm
been playing with both my spray guns today ( still to damp to paint -  end june/july when its warmer ) still doing prep on wings and side skirts ( isopon scratch and stone chip filler -£8 for 2- 30 gran tubes but well worth it ) . love how smooth they have  turned out
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 4:46pm
made up some mounts so that i can have the front  hor/vert use the 34 inch center points for the front shocks  so that 2 -  3 by 2 inch bars hold it secure . lots of stone chip repairs  and a lot of 320/400 wet and dry paper , got to get some more stone and scratch filler
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:49pm
20 ltr of base paint and 20 ltr clear turned up today,as well as big box of stainless steel nuts,bolts,and washers , as i took all panels off  would not re-fit original ones ( bolts ), some are rusted into a point
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 6:17pm
sprayed the side skirts,one wing and nose cone today as it was so hot,had to reduce air pressure so that i could get the base to flow coat (cellulose ) used cellulose as when i got the car i sprayed the rear bottom panel with paint via bmw main dealer which was cellulose. paint used so far each side skirt 300ml base and 500ml top coat (clear ), wing 500ml base and 800ml clear, nose cone 800 ml base and 1.2 ltr clear. all panels once painted are to be left for 2 weeks so that all paint is hard before rub down with 400 grit paper and 2 flow coats of clear then left again for 2 weeks before  1200,2000  2500 rub down, and g3 buff compound then polish. knew was going well when could see spray gun reflected as i was laying down the base, well happy
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:48pm
all was going well with the bonnet spray until my mad dog got into my spray area lots of dog hairs ,so a rub down  needed and a re clean of my spray area. left the bonnet in my sun lounge as with windows and doors shut its at 37 deg c and 45 % rh  which should help the paint harden   
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:25pm
bonnet done , rub down with 600 grit to get rid of all dog hairs , 1.2 ltr base and 1.8 ltr clear coat, was very hot today, someone  from down the street came along to see what type of air compressor i have as he has never heard it,  (dont have one ) use nitrogen , as i would use nitrogen every day would get large cylinders 
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by sweets sweets wrote:

all was going well with the bonnet spray until my mad dog got into my spray area lots of dog hairs ,so a rub down  needed and a re clean of my spray area. left the bonnet in my sun lounge as with windows and doors shut its at 37 deg c and 45 % rh  which should help the paint harden   
I have a mental image of your dog sprayed a nice shade of BMW blue....
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 8:45pm
black/ white metalic blue springer  spaniel, all down i side
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:25pm
need to get some 15mm spacers for the new (to me - set of bmw 6757375) front wheels as they hit the calipers , so much wet and dry used need to get shares in the company . now to look for a seat repair  as the wife would keep her hand bag by her side and its worn through the side of the seat
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 5:44pm
had nice weather for the last  few days ,so lots of spraying, all been cut back ready for final clear coat. looked very good before i cut it back. have to order another ltr of paint just to be safe, but still have 4 ltr of clear. so far 3 people down street have asked me how much i would charge to do there cars in the same blue 
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 7:16pm
had a slight problem with the sun roof,all went well ,until 2 days later when i had croc skin( paint cracking ) . my own fault - was running out of nitrogen and put the paint on to heavy . so down to screw fix for an air compressor, so no problems of running out of air pressure -  cut back sun roof with 800 grit then sprayed with 2 coats of halfords filler primer ,when dry, cut all the way back with 800 grit, which removed all of the  filler primer . all the cracks had filler primer left in them . then sprayed over with 2 coats of halfords grey primer. cut back with 800 grit again. sprayed base coat, after 3 coats could still see primer ( was told by an ex client to do it this way- which has worked well so far ) after 8 coats of base could not see primer -6 coats of clear and  how just have to wait for 2 weeks before i re glue fabric back on. now have the fight to remove the roof fabric as it has come away in spots . 
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 8:43pm
down to city electrical today to order some 15- multi core 1mm silicon cable. had done a number of repairs over jts life on the boot cables, so now i can replace that part of the loom each side with new wire and back to screw fix as after 2nd start comp made a clunk sound and now takes 10 mins to build pressure to 8 bar and smells very hot
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 7:58pm
screw fix replaced the faulty air compressor( very good service ) so when some dry weather again it will be lots of clear coats
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 6:40pm
have just found out that my camera will re-size photo for e-mail
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 5:09pm
next main thing to order are new brakes ( 3 calipers seized on one side and 2 on other, rears ok ), thought the brakes felt dead, still they are 22 years old-as all the main lines need to be replaced, would have to open the system anyway and the disks all round needed to be changed, the wife normally got 6 months out of a set of disks ( shes got a heavy right foot
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 5:31pm
stil problems with paint ,have to sand it back and use barcoat . bit of a shame as the finish was ok
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:38pm
2 days of 800 grit sanding, all done so ready for barcoat, got a 3-6 mtr party tent on way so i can put it under cover and not worry about the roof being open
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 10:10pm
bar coat added so nice tomorrow so should get the fill primer on
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 1:25pm
10 lts primer added (5 coats ) seems a lot , but  did not want to hit the barcoat when i did the 800 grit rub down.then 6 coats of base left for 3 days then a light 800 grit rub down. when we get some sun again then its 2 coats of clear/blue flake ,then will have to do the top clear coat.
davebrindlee36m3 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davebrindlee36m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 6:27pm
Nice article sweets..any more pics ?
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 8:55pm
once we have some more sun can take photos of it in its base, then with first clear coats, took loads of photos before i found out that my camera will re-size for e-mail
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 1:27pm
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:12pm
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 2:16pm
final 5 coats of base done, with a little help- no paint on her this time. she had to stay indoors while i painted
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 1:10pm
two coats of clear added today, another day of rubbing down with 800 when its hard .then a coat of clear with 170 grams of .008 bright blue flake added to the 2 ltrs which will give one coat, before another 5 coats of clear.
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 4:09pm
a day with 800 grit ,this car seems to get bigger every time i have to flat it back. all rubbed down and wiped of with meths to remove any oil from my hands
sweets View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 1:45pm
flake and two clear coats to act as a sealer  done,now have to leave it for a week before 5 top coats of clear . happy with how it looks , camera does not pick it up as well as in the flesh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>