FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Advice please, kwikfit snapped my wheel bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil_E92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice please, kwikfit snapped my wheel bolt
    Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 2:53pm

Yesterday afternoon, KwikFit Mobile  came to my place of work to fit 4 new RF tyres prior to my MOT later this month.

after a brief chat and tyre inspection he proceeds to remove the offside wheel bolts, he states that they are tight carries on breaking them loose with a breaker bar while the car is on an airbag at the rear and axel stand at the front. I thought this was a tad weird as i have always broken off the wheel bolts/nuts while the car was on the ground and stable, but im no mechanic.

Again he has only stated that the bolts are tight.

then i get a call ~40mins later saying to come out side, i then find him at the NSF wheel with the head of the bolt in his hand and the stud remaining in the wheel hub. He states there is not much he can do from his van and to take it to the local kwikfit centre on Saughton Road North in Edinburgh.

I finished work at 5 and got to the centre at 5:30 and after 1hr of phone calls between various customer services I am told that to drive the car with 4 out of the 5 wheel bolts remaining is "Illegal"

I took that comment with a pinch of salt but just nodded and agreed and told me that the Edinburgh Dispatcher will call me the next morning. the car was left in the garage and KiwkFit organised me an Uber to travel the 18miles home.Clap

The call never came and gave them till 1pm or I would have to call him. I call and get nothing but stonewalling from about how it is my fault that the wheel bolt broke when the fitter was removing the bolt with his "breaker" bar. Kwik fit do not hold responsibility about my vehicle and "lack of care taken towards the wheel bolt corrosion/tightness"

I now have 2 new tires and 2 old tyres and a broken wheel bolt and kwikfit are not taking responsibility for what I can see is a cowboy fitter trying to complete the tyre change quicker than an F1 team.

Help?

Edited by Neil_E92 - 06 Nov 2018 at 2:54pm
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Cambell View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:10pm
I think this would be difficult to prove as Kwik Fits fault. If the bolts were over tightened and the metal stressed prior to the mobile guy getting to them, its not really his fault. Looks like you can either try and get the rest of it out with a bolt extractor or order a new front hub.     
Neil_E92 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil_E92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:59pm
Well, took the car home this afternoon and just as i left the motorway could feel vibration through the steering. Came home to find out that i was now missing a second bolt head, this leaves 3 out of 5 wheel bolts in place.

Further again, went to check the fitted tyres where torqqued to spec, and they were not even tight. i could move them with my mini torque wrench without issue.

thanks again :thumbsup:
Cambell View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 6:23am
Bud, I have a load of wheel bolts in my garage, if you can get a lift here, you can have some.
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 9:06am
It may be difficult to prove liability, you may have also agreed to some disclaimer on their paperwork ( read the small print). However, they do have a duty of care to ensure you are not driving a vehicle which is unsafe or has the potential to be unsafe.

I am sure a Company of this size has a customer services number, have you called them?

The generous offer by another member seems worth taking up, but I know the frustration you must feel when things go wrong.   
n
Neil_E92 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil_E92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 1:32pm
I have a set of wheel bolts from my old E36, M12 x 1.5 and currently at kwik fit livingston hopefully being removed as i type this message. I have not signed or seen any paperwork in regards to the tyre fitting/removal. I have already laucnehd a case with customer services and awaiting a call back.
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 4:04pm
How long ago were the old tyres fitted, and have they ever been removed?

Ther is no substitute for lightly coating the wheel bolts with Copaslip, periodically removing them,and checking that they are not overtightened after they have been removed.  I coat the tapered portion with grease too, as this is where they usually seize due to electrolytic action between the aluminium and the steel.

A lot of people express shock and horror at the idea of greasing wheel bolts, but the answer is that you reach the necessary tensile loading with less torque.  This simply means as far as you can tighten them using a 12 inch leverage and one hand, with your shoulder behind it.

I have never had any problems with my greased wheel nut/bolts, but I have a well-developed sense of mechanical sympathy - something which in the modern world of service industry workers is sadly lacking.  A credit card and a mobile phone are not a substitute!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Neil_E92 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil_E92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 6:46pm
KwikFit livingston have remove the leftover studs and replaced with the wheelbolts i supplied from E36. Just going back next week to have the tyres replaced on the nearside.

On my E36 the wheels were off every month because the sodding thing needed constant work after the pizza delivery work while being a student. coppergrease was applied to the face and slight bit on the threads.

Thanks for comments and can now remove this post if required :)
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 12:15am
No need to remove the thread, it is interesting. My wheel bolts have been put on with some hydraulic device. I could not physically get them off manually ( I have a hand disability), there must be plenty of people who also cannot undo wheel nuts or even know how to or want to? The General Public I mean not specifically club members. Therefore, they reply upon the Halfords, Kwik Fit and so on and so forth to do the job correctly.
n
E30sanchez View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E30sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:10pm
just goes to show that folk have been saying for years, don't use **it fit. 
 Post Reply Post Reply