FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Buying an E30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying an E30
    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 11:35am
Hi guys

I’m hoping someone can help me out here. I’m 18, been driving a year and want a real car now. Would it be a good idea if I get a 325 or stick to something a bit less powerful and also how much should I be paying ? I’ve seen online that for an average e30 4 door it’s about 3-4K. If anyone could help and steer me on the right path that would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks 
Joe 
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:54pm
Check your insurance costs first on the various models.
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:21am
I would have thought a decent quality E30 325 is fairly expensive and not that easy to find? But at 18 I agree the insurance might well be a massive annual cost.
n
Dudley47 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 11:53am
thanks for that guys I’ve checked insurance and it’s all around 1.5k which isn’t bad considering if I keep my Toyota Yaris it’s 1.3. I’ve been saving for a while and don’t mind doing work on it as I’ve already had a good bit of experience fixing cars. I found a 320i for 3k but the guy had no previous maintenance history which worries me 
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:24pm
Did you try the The BMW Car Club insurance? Also go on the E30 section of the Club, Mr Mcdonald has a lot of experience and he might find you a decent one or have one for sale.
n
Dudley47 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:32pm
Didn’t even know that was a thing, thanks. Kinda new to this whole thing really :) 
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:17pm
Remember that you will be buying a seriously old car, and will need lots of effort to keep it going, not to mention money and facilities!  Trying to work on an old car by the side of the road is really impractical, and would probably not be popular with your neighbours . . . 

Also remember that in spite of sharing the aura of the M3, the E30 is not one of the finest-handling or forgiving cars, so will require considerable suspension work as a priority.  A worn-out E30 may be an improvement on a similarly worn-out E21, but that is not saying much!

I would advise looking for something more modern with a smaller engine, such as at least an E36 Compact 318Ti, and spend your money on springs and dampers.

Edited by Mike Fishwick - 04 Apr 2019 at 1:18pm
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Dudley47 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:08pm
Cheers, I understand that yes it’s an old car and I’m probably diving in at the deep end. I would be interested in an e46 as I prefer the style but my main issue is the e30 is getting rarer every year and I’m not sure for how long I’d be able to afford one. Thanks for the advice it’s all appreciated 
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:50pm
I bought an E39 523i petrol saloon with 105,000 miles for 500 pounds. It now has 177K. Although I do not do any work on it myself, a fellow club member has for me. From what I understand nearly everything can still be fixed without a workshop, but not on the side of the road. Unless its too big another model you might consider, gives nearly 30 mpg, 168 bhp.
n
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:54pm
if you have done your research and like the E30 then go for it. The main issue with the age is that they have very little tech on board - no stability control, no traction control, most have no ABS, no airbags. You will rely on driver skill instead. If your not used to that look to the E46 instead, which will also become a classic soon.
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 11:09pm
I had a brand new E30 touring in 1993 K registration. I do not recall it was difficult to handle but it was along time ago. However, it was fairly prestigious back then. I really enjoyed driving it.

Edited by Norrie - 04 Apr 2019 at 11:10pm
n
Dudley47 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:52pm
Thanks for all the reply’s guys. I think I’ll go for something a bit newer for now and save up for one as a project. As for maintenance I’d be fine I have a place I can work on it and I’m sure it’d be an interesting experience but maybe one I’m not ready for yet. The reasoning for choosing an e30 is mainly down to looks but partially sentimental too. A challenge for the future hopefully 

Joe
hennabm View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 9:26am
The jump from a 1.3 Yaris FWD to a 320 or 325 RWD is quite a big one.
It is something to remember even if you go for an E35 that the rear wheels are driven and handling is different from a FWD.

The E30 was easier than an E21 in the wet but can still bite unaware drivers.

Good look in finding a suitable car.
82 323i Henna
90 320iSE - died Apr 21
10 116d Sport
12 1.4 Punto Easy
89 240DL est
11 X3 3.0d SE
Dudley47 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dudley47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 1:44pm
Hi guys 

Little update. I ended up buying a 2003 e46 318, I tried out a few different cars, compared insurance prices and how each car felt and decided this was my best option. Thank you for all the advice along the way 

Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply