FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Rear Window Washer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davewickham340 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Window Washer
    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 9:21pm
The rear window washer isn’t working on my 116i! I’ve checked the pump motor and fitted a new wiper motor (pattern part) to see if the blockage was in there. Looks like it’s gummed up somewhere in the pipeline. Has anyone tackled replacing or clearing this pipeline? 
I’m a moderate DIY mechanic and am wondering if anyone has advice on shortcuts or potential pitfalls.
Thanks in advance 
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

rpennington View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 10:42pm
Hi Dave
It might be just the washer jets that is blocked,you could try a thin needle to unblock the jets first & if that doesn’t work take the fluid pipe off the jets & try the wash wipe for the rear window, if you get fluid out the pipe then the jets are more than likely blocked.

Rich
1999 E46 323i se Saloon - sold
2011 E90 325d msport - sold
2014 F30 335d xdrive msport plus pack
Davewickham340 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davewickham340 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 10:59pm
Thanks Rich
It’s a new wiper motor so unlikely to be blocked but I’ll certainly try that before I go for the pipeline replacement job! 
Cheers 
David
Davewickham340 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davewickham340 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:58pm
so to update on this. I’ve managed to fix the washer. It turned out that when I fitted the replacement motor, having been told that it was non-repairable, some “gunge” that had built up in the pipeline was forced into the new wiper motor and blocked it. I managed to strip the original motor sufficiently to clear it’s blockage and the system now works fine. Lesson always do a few sprays with the piping disconnected to clear any residual gunge from it, (boot needs to think it’s closed for the rear washer to operate!) before fitting a new wiper motor.
Now anyone want to buy a practically new rear wiper motor for a 116i let me know TongueTongue
rpennington View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:32pm
Hi Dave
I’m glad to hear you got it sorted in the end.I take it from your post the motor wasn’t at fault & worked perfectly?
 I think the last time I had a car with a rear wash wipe was back in the late 80’s when I had my 5 gt turbo😄

Regards
Rich
1999 E46 323i se Saloon - sold
2011 E90 325d msport - sold
2014 F30 335d xdrive msport plus pack
 Post Reply Post Reply