FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

There's a flasher in Norfolk!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: There's a flasher in Norfolk!
    Posted: 26 May 2020 at 1:53pm
So I've now taken to flashing other E46s when I'm out and about in Bessie.

Whenever I see another E46 on the road, or a BMW convertible of any model, OR an older or slammed BMW, I flash the headlights and put my hand up. (Unless it is a lady driver, when I refrain; lest they get the wrong impression).

The response is usually positive, with most of them responding in one way or another. The best results are from other silver E46s (with or without roof).

It's a harmless gesture. In these times of social distancing and isolation, may I suggest you do likewise - and bring a smile to someone's face!

Thumbs up for the BMW brotherhood. And sisterhood!
**SOLD** E46 325 CI-Sport Convertible auto **SOLD**
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:00am
My experience has been the opposite, with other Z3 owners being ill-mannered, unobservant, or more concerned with looking 'cool' than returning a simple wave! I suppose that these days most owners are not 'clubbable' types of people, reflecting the vast numbers of BMWs on our roads, and the range of attitudes we see in the general population.

I have almost given up waving at other Z3 owners, and even on deserted mountain passes, where the only traffic is another Z3, I receive the cold shoulder - maybe it is the result of having French registration!

Mazda MX5 owners are invariably courteous, and seem to be more adventurous than Z3 owners, being seen - often in groups - on some of the most obscure roads of Europe.  They are generally interested in my car (particularly the small RAID steering wheel) and seem to enjoy talking about their cars, and their experiences with them.

Here in rural France we often see examples of the MX5 from the first generation to the latest model - but very seldom see a Z3.

I fact, the MX5 fraternity always appear to be the kind of active club I would like to join, and are a good reason to buy a Mazda rather than a Z3!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
N-Dog View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:31am
How ironic that you mention the Mazda owners in a positive light - as I also own a Mazda.

I love my E46 and I pamper it, but I am also fond of my 2013 Mazda 3, my daily driver, which (unlike Bessie) sits outside in all weathers 24/7/365.
I generally try to lavish as much care on the Mazda as I do Bessie, and I keep her equally as clean, when possible, and serviced regularly.

There is an online forum for the Mazda 3, which I'm on, but not a dedicated Club. So I approached the Norfolk chapter of the MX5 Club, because like you I too have seen convoys of MX5s heading out on a run, and I thought.. 'I fancy a bit of that'.

I asked them if I could tag along in my 3, on one of their runs out (this was in early March, before C-19) and they couldn't have been more welcoming. So when invited, I will go.

On a separate note, I searched in vain for a 'Convertibles only' Club in Norfolk. The nearest I found was NERT (North Essex Rag-Tops) who again were most welcoming. Although Essex-based, they do venture into Norfolk and Suffolk, and were happy to suggest I tagged along for a couple of meets to see if I want to join the Club as a member. Take a look at their website, there are some gorgeous Mercedes, Porsches, BMWs, MX5s, MGs, and Saabs amongst their number; they even allow tin-tops to attend if owned by a member - one of them has got a stunning red Rover SD1, a beast of a car for which I have always had an admiration (google Rover SD1 racing (or Rover 3500) and you'll find some great in-car videos of SD1s racing in recent times, to a testosterone inducing V8 soundtrack).

With regards BMW owners acknowledging one another, I think it is perhaps more prevalent with the older models. With some exceptions, newer models could well be driven by folk who aren't particularly loyal to the brand, perhaps who chop and change, or by folks who have the car as a company car. With the E46, and other older models, this is a car that you CHOSE/CHOOSE to own; that you feel passionate about. Owners of the older cars seem to be more 'into them' than of newer cars.

However, the Z3 is definitely a very select car that one chooses to own, not like a company car - so I am somewhat surprised at your 'cold-shoulder' experiences. Perhaps next time, blow a vuvuzela at them as they pass.....

Edited by N-Dog - 27 May 2020 at 8:36am
**SOLD** E46 325 CI-Sport Convertible auto **SOLD**
JOHN JR View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHN JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 11:14am
I like the idea if i see you when i'm down in Norfolk this August on holiday i'll try to return a flash of the lights to you.
KJ RAWSTHORNE
JOHN JR View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHN JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 11:16am
PS I didnt tell you the car i'm in its a dark blue 320d touring.

KJ RAWSTHORNE
 Post Reply Post Reply