FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriumphStag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil
    Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 12:20pm
I know everyone is probably sick of this subject. I am new to the BMW world as for the last 25 years my thing has and still is Triumphs, very simple cars. I have recently brought a 2011 Z4 23i Sdrive manual gearbox, I would like to change the gearbox oil but all the forums make a real meal out of it, I would like to know a good oil make type.  
TS
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

TriumphStag View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriumphStag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 12:22pm
Please
TS
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 8:13pm
Does the owners manual specify a grade ? Or is it a 'sealed for life' ?

If you know the grade, just buy that from any reputable oil manufacturer and you will be good.
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriumphStag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:33am
Hi i think it states sealed for life however I find that hard to take in, not only that what is BMWs life? i think from what I have seen its 10 years or 100,000 miles. like I say I am new to BMWs but not new to oil and oil can not last forever. I can go with an oil supplier but thought that someone might shed a bit more light.

Thanks 

TS
Paul.S View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:13am
The sealed for life oil used by BMW on their motorcycles for the differential that could also be used in the gearbox (made by getrag) was Castrol Syntrax 75-90 fully synthetic gearbox oil.
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 12:13pm
People who believe in 'Sealed for life' must also believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Paul.S View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 1:31pm
I agree Mike, but our view does not appear to be shared by BMW !
Robert View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 4:51pm
If you are going to change the oil then you should change the filter at the same time. That will be a sump off jobby to get at the filter but I suppose you already know that.
Paul.S View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 8:16pm
Is that not just for the automatic gearbox Robert ? I do not think that the manual box has a filter.
rpennington View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 6:43am
I have never known manual gearboxes to have a filter, only auto’s. If they have then that’s something new I’ve learnt.

Rich
1999 E46 323i se Saloon - sold
2011 E90 325d msport - sold
2014 F30 335d xdrive msport plus pack
Robert View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:42am
Sorry, you are right. My mistake I thought is was an auto.
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriumphStag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:02am
Manual gearbox definitely have drain plugs and filler plugs and i think you will find gearbox fluids should be changed on a more regular basis than most of us think, oil will brake down and take a curtain amount of moisture over time, the better condition of your oils  the more protection you expensive engine gearbox diff etc will have.
TS
 Post Reply Post Reply