316ti E46 intermittent erractic idle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 316ti E46 intermittent erractic idle
    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:21pm
Could it be a VANOS issue ? A quick google should give you the symptoms etc.
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:31am
Most likely a worn out eccentric shaft. Chinese sensors are utter crap. It may have had a Chinese valvetronic motor in the past as well. 
Allan3600 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan3600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:58am
Final update.
I have replaced the eccentric shaft sensor. I has helped the problem but not solved it completely.
Cold start: Uneven idle for first 10-20 sec. Does not stall
Warm start: Very uneven idle first minute. Can stall.

It should be said that I used a non-original part. 

I dont think I will pursue the issue any longer. Will learn to live with it :-)
Allan3600 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan3600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 2:31pm
Just an update..

I am afraid that replacing the solenoid did not solve the problem The erratic behaviour has become so bad that I have disconnected the eccentric shaft sensor. The result is that the engine starts and runs smoothly. This cannot be right but leaving it connected it runs so badly that I am afraid I am damaging the engine

My next guess is a defective sensor.
Allan3600 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan3600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 3:46pm
I have now done a bit more experimenting. Here is a summary.
1. I cleaned the 2 vanos solenoids.
2. I measured the resistance between the terminals on the solenoids. I learned from a youtube video that the resistance should lie between 10.5 and 11.7 ohms. Whether this is true or not, I have no clue. The upper measured 18 ohms and the lower was 11.3.
3. I disconnected the upper solenoid while the engine was running and the erratic idle behaviour disappeared

My conclusion is that the upper should be replaced. I have ordered a new one and keep my fingers crossed that it will solve the problem.

Edited by Allan3600 - 16 May 2021 at 7:26am
Allan3600 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan3600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 5:15am
Have just purchased a OBDII and run a scan. I  am getting codes, but cannot remember what they were.
Will get back on these.
Thanks!
NickDE View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair
North East Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 8:44pm
Have you had the diagnostics checked to see if there are any error codes stored ?
Darkness gone, Tronic gone, Solo gone, DBA going, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Black Pearl, go The Vibrator
Allan3600 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan3600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 8:03pm
I have just purchased a 316ti from 2002 (E46) which suffers, occassionally, from erratic idling. It usually  ends up stalling after one of these fits. It starts fine and most of the time runs smoothly.

After much research I think I have pinpointed the problem to be in the Valvetronic system. If I disconnect the eccentric shaft sensor then the problem disappears. I would almost venture to say that it feels like it has more power.

Is there any danger of running with this sensor disconnected? Will a new sensor solve the problem?
 Post Reply Post Reply