FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Abuse from other motorists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starlord69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abuse from other motorists
    Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:15pm
Having recently bought my first BMW I have begun to experience the envy from other motorists in the form of abuse in the  form of nasty and aggressive behaviour towards me, which I can only attribute to jealousy. It takes the form of either being cut up, tailgated, not let out of junctions or filters and verbal abuse. I am starting to become paranoid now where I park or drive. I  Have other owners on here experienced this? Why are so many people so spiteful and bitter? Is this a result of lockdown??
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

Tony View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:15pm
Never had anything like that in any of my BMWs (520i, M5, Z4M, 330D, 320D).
2006 Z4MC
164k mile, Individual Ruby Black, Extended Champagne & Piano Black trim
issus View Drop Down
Region Chair
Region Chair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote issus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:03pm
Do you have a political slogan displayed, a football team emblem? Or do you have the 100k plus Series 8?
Just ignore them

ps or any message criticizing other drivers

Edited by issus - 11 May 2021 at 5:06pm
E46 320d Sport Myst Blue 054 reg - probably the best BMW ever
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 10:23pm
I was once told that I was 'Too old' to be driving a Z3 - I viewed it as a compliment . . .

I was also told by the passenger - hanging upside-down out of the window - in a Plymouth City Council truck that 'You lot are all f-ing knobheads!' 

When the traffic slowed, I drove up the inside lane and waved at the passenger.  I asked if he enjoyed working for the council, and suggested that after I had informed my friends of his attitude that he may not have the job much longer!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Tony View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Mike Fishwick Mike Fishwick wrote:

I was once told that I was 'Too old' to be driving a Z3 - I viewed it as a compliment . . .

I was also told by the passenger - hanging upside-down out of the window - in a Plymouth City Council truck that 'You lot are all f-ing knobheads!' 

When the traffic slowed, I drove up the inside lane and waved at the passenger.  I asked if he enjoyed working for the council, and suggested that after I had informed my friends of his attitude that he may not have the job much longer!
I have a tale of one-upmanship from a dinner I had with a few friends a few years back in Essex.

We were at a nice Indian restaurant (i.e. one where you get small portions of excellent food, rather than platefuls of warmed up dog food) and an argument broke out on the table next to us involving a group of middle-aged men who obviously thought this was their normal, after-pub Tandoori.

After a couple of minutes of being asked to calm down by the waiters (in their starched white tunics) and then the manager, the manager finally threatened to refuse to serve them, throw them out and/or call the police.

The response from one of the oiks was that he stood up (about a foot taller than the manager) and claimed that he'd get the manager locked up because he knew the Chief Constable.

Undeterred, the manager stopped serving them, told them the bill for the drinks and starters was waived, and asked them to leave.

Again, this oik threatened to have the manager sorted out by his mate the Chief Constable.

Suddenly a gentleman on another table stood up and approached, and we thought there was about to be a scuffle, so stood up too.

The gentleman asked the oik whether he really knew the Chief Constable, and the oik declared he was best mates with him, went to school with him, shared a girlfriend at one time...

To which the gentleman replied "Well I am the Chief Constable of Essex, and I don't remember you sir, and I am absolutely certain my academy would not have let your sort in! Now, do as the manager says or I'll have a riot van outside in 5 minutes and you can spend the evening in the Braintree cells.".

Then my mate gets up and says "BTW, whilst you're here, has my firearms renewal come across your desk yet!".
2006 Z4MC
164k mile, Individual Ruby Black, Extended Champagne & Piano Black trim
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 4:48pm
IF you wanted to experience the nasty side of fellow motorists - and the general public - you should have owned an Austin-Healey Spite during the 'sixties!

Every 'ordinary' motorist called the poor car names, old men in the street told me how 'dangerous' it was (apparently because it was red!) and Cortina GT drivers always tried to overtake in the wrong places - just to make a point.

All the people with 'ordinary' cars seem to hate anyone with a vehicle which is slightly out of the ordinary - they always have, and always will. 

BMWs are probably the car which a certain generation loves to hate, and who can blame them?  After all, BMW GB did once label their cars as being designed to 'Young Achievers'  = the most pathetic label ever!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
dawa View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 12:18pm
There should be no envy of someone with a BMW as they are common on the road. I get more attention (not envy) to my XType Jaguar when out (how often do you see one?) than in my E82. But to beat all for attention (and maybe a little envy) is my Porsche 924 And I don't see many of them when out.
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 12:44pm
Strange I have owned BMW Cars since 1993 when I bought my first new E30 touring, I had new E39, 2 new E60, a E92. Not abused by anyone. I now have a 22 year old E39 with 191K on the Clock and not bad comments. The only negative, but not abusive comments I have are mainly from other BMW owners who don't understand my or other ALPINA cars. You will not see many of mine as on 11 were made for the UK.
DM94 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 11:57pm
Only been a BMW owner for about 2 months but can't say I've had any negative experiences because of it so far - time will tell!
Colin the Dog View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin the Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:39am
just think its the modern way of driving as nobody has a enough time anymore.
i have noticed that young women drivers seem to be the worst 
this dog bites
 Post Reply Post Reply