*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Map Updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rpennington View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Map Updates
    Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by DTindall DTindall wrote:

Hi I've just paid £69 for the connect Map update after my three years was up. I took the airwaves route to down load the new map. In the idrive management it states Software updated, but when I enter a postcode for a place I knwo ahs been there for years it doesn't find it. Any ideas how I can check the map update has worked? Thanks

Hi
I don’t know how the airwaves download works. I updated my nav maps on my f30 by USB port, when that finished installing the update, the system then reboots to complete the install. If you go into the nav options you will find the software version that is installed.

Rich
1999 E46 323i se Saloon - sold
2011 E90 325d msport - sold
2014 F30 335d xdrive msport plus pack
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

DTindall View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DTindall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 7:06pm
Hi I've just paid £69 for the connect Map update after my three years was up. I took the airwaves route to down load the new map. In the idrive management it states Software updated, but when I enter a postcode for a place I knwo ahs been there for years it doesn't find it. Any ideas how I can check the map update has worked? Thanks
The good old days are what you do tomorrow.
T11YNG View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T11YNG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2022 at 11:15am
A new update, on a new update!
A few days ago new maps arrived on the BMW Download Manager site, with a designation 'EUROPE Way 2022-1'.
The car is now digesting the BIG (several gigabytes of the stuff) file from the USB stick I plug into the USB port under the centre armrest and use for the purpose. 
It is a lengthy process and seems to only proceed while the ignition is 'live', so five-mile trips will not suffice.
Next!!
AJJ
T11YNG View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T11YNG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:30pm
The BMW website now says they update the map 'multiple times per year'. So not the more definitive and late-lamented  'four times per year'.
But, for we Anglophones, probably more than 'twice per year'?
Like you, I have used a (65GB!) USB stick to load the updated data into the car successfully.
However, specifically, it is true to say that their Sat Nav system lacks the ability and accuracy (found happily in a TomTom) to use ALL the code in a UK postcode...
Anyway, I will await 'developments'! 
And keep using the TomTom.
AJJ
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 12:42pm
I’m not quite sure how often bmw do the map updates.I only started doing map updates on inbuilt nav systems from when i owned my e90,because i used tomtom & i know they did map updates 4 times a year. I still use my tomtom so i do keep that updated.When i purchased my map update it was only updated from purchase & not during the 24 month period.From what i am aware depending on year of car some maps are updated via memory stick through usb in car & others are online through i drive system.I had to update my maps on my 2014 f30 by memory stick.

Edited by rpennington - 05 Feb 2022 at 12:43pm
T11YNG View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T11YNG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 12:11pm
Thanks (Rich) for the response. It's good to know about the availability of the purchased software update.
My query is rather more about the 'updates-after the-update'.
I assume you received map updates during your 24 month 'after sales service'.
I have used TomTom for a  long time, with a 'lifetime' (of the machine...not the user...!) of updates deal.
So I'm used to getting TomTom map updates regularly, probably four per year.
BMW publicity material suggests they update their maps on a similar timescale.
My BMW is still within the 3 year warranty period.
 The map software, according to my 'BMW Connect' account has not been updated for about six months and I wondered if other users had the same experience?

AJJ
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpennington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 7:08am
Hi
I updated my e90 sat nav when i first got it as the idrive system was showing it was about 4 years out of date.I purchased the map update through bmw connected drive services online,downloaded the map update to a memory stick then loaded into the cars idrive,very easy to follow instructions.When i purchased it it was about £49 for a 24 month map update.

regards rich
T11YNG View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T11YNG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:09am
Apologies. Additional pertinent information. 
The version number (2021/3) indicates this is the third iteration of the map for 2021.
It does not mean that it turned up in March....
AJJ
T11YNG View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T11YNG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:06am
My Sat. Nav. map version  is '2021/03,.
The BMW  Connect programme, which provided me that data on the last occasion I updated the map, recognises my VIN number upon login and gives me that map designation.
It asks me if I would like to download the map again. And, naturally, (it's a HUGE file) I politely decline!
BMW say that they provide map updates four times per year. Rather like TomTom in that regard.
However, unlike TomTom, there seems to have been no BMW map update since September 2021?
Can anyone please tell me why?
AJJ
 Post Reply Post Reply