FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

E3 owners - where are you...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 7:31pm
Good progress being made there - finished and on the road in 2010?
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:25pm
That's the plan Andrew....  that's the plan!
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009 at 6:23pm
Update;

Started to clean, prep and assemble parts to return to the car;

Spring cups - rust removed and treated + etch primer;

Front struts being prep'd, prior to painting;

Front struts and springs painted satin black;

Brake back plates repainted;

Lots of new parts on the shelf awaiting fitment;

Boxes of parts, etc, plus items returned from the powder coaters;

Now the real fun begins, as I have to remember how it all goes back together!

Cheers,

Martin.

Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

E30 Register & Competition Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009 at 6:50pm
Did you take pictures and did you have any of the parts powder coated or even this vapour blasting I am going to give a try
E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 12:47pm
Hi Neil,

Yep, I had parts shot blasted at a local place, they did a good job and the parts end up with a slightly textured finish - which you don't get with vapour blasting. I understand that vapour blasting is less harmfull to delicate parts, but most of my stuff was engine parts, sheilds, etc, so it was cool.

Don't think I have any pics of the blasted items - perhaps some engine parts, I'll have a look.

The parts were then either zinc plated (rear hubs, etc) or they were powder coated (subframes, etc). I am a bit disappointed that I didn;t get more stuff powder coated (i.e. the front struts, springs, etc) rather than painting them.

I was really impressed with the powder coating, it is so robust. The paint finish I have acheived is OK too. but I may try and get a spare pair of front struts, springs, etc and get them powder coated in due course.

I have pictures of the powder coated items and the final painted items at the refit stage, I'll post them up when I get a mo.

Cheers,

Mart.
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 1:51pm
Starting assembley;

Parts back from Powder Coaters - looking great!!

New brake back plates;

Strut assembley with new billy's;

I had all the nuts, bolts and washers zinc plated too;

More to follow as we get the subframe, rear end, suspension, etc refitted.

Cheers,

Martin.

Cabrio View Drop Down
Register Chair
Register Chair

E30 Register & Competition Secretary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 8:45pm
Like new - well done
E30 Register joint coordinator - Competition Secretary - Contact name Neil for PM and Email - cabrio_e30@yahoo.co.uk - be aware addicted to E numbers
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 5:41pm
Update;

The rebuild has come a long way and we've got the car rolling again!

Rear beam mounted on new rubbers, trailing arms and new shocks;

The rear hubs have been zinc plated and are like new, the beam and trailing arms have been blasted and powder coated, new billies, but I need to paint the springs.....

Spotted the mistake? Yes, we forgot to put the new brake back plates on, so had to split the hubs again! They were quite tight...

Front subframe on, with refurbished front struts/springs, etc;

(I know the engine bay looks shocking - it is still on the list and will be attended to when the bodywork is prepped and painted)

New front bearings were eased into the front hubs (which require painting);

New brake back plates on;

Wheels on;

And she's rolling!!!

The car is now off the ramp and safely locked away in a container next to our workshop. My pal has another project he needs to crack on with - building a Golf Mk2 GTi racer - and I have many things I can get on with now - rebuilding engine, painting parts, diff, gearbox, engine, driveshafts, etc, refurb brakes, the list goes on.......

Also, I was quite disappointed with the quality of paint finish on some of the new parts supplied (brake back plates and lower arms) which were chipped and scratched. We only spotted it when we unpacked them to put them on the car, so no time to repaint. I did think they would be mint though. Oh well, lesson learned - I'll just have to repaint them myself at the next stage of the build.

I should also think about getting the bodywork finished and painted, as I will outsource this job.

I know lots of people are reading this, which is great, would be interested in your comments - encouragement is also good, especially as it is so bleeding cold in the workshop I am struggling for enthusiasm....

Cheers,

Martin.

Edited by BMW250L - 05 Jan 2010 at 5:53pm
AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 5:51pm
Fabulous work! But there is another mistake............the anodised platforms for the rear springs are on upside down! The spring sits around the raised part.
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 6:01pm
Damn it!!! 

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated, and  well spotted.

I'm sure we either copied the old set up, or the picture in the instructions......  having said that we probably just made it up as we went along! FAIL!

I'll whip them off and swap 'em round - I wanted to paint the springs anyway!

Cheers,

Martin.
Ian Arthur View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2010 at 12:17am

instructions,we`re men,we dont need them

fantasic work,looking forward to seeing this in the flesh

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 8:16pm
No progress in the last 4 weeks as my mate has been building a Golf Mk2 to race - grrrrr!

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Martin.
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 2:16pm
Hi,

Found these pics the other day and scanned them in for your viewing pleasure.....

They are of my Dad's E3 3.0Si Police Traffic car, when he was a Thames Valley Police Traffic Officer in the early 70's. This is why I bought the E3.

Anyway, if anyone has any bright ideas where I could get a similar top box or horns/siren, then let me know, as I might 'wrap' my car in white vinyl one day and do a 'recreation' of this car....

Cheers,

Martin.

Edited by BMW250L - 20 Mar 2010 at 2:16pm
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 8:10am
Well, the project is moving forward again!

I have selected a body shop and taken the decision to paint the whole car, which I am sure I won't regret - it's just costing a fortune!

I'll post some pictures up of progress and prep so far, but it is going to have a coat of primer later this week and should be fully painted in a week or so - I'm very excited!

Slightly frustrated that I cannot get a new windscreen seal - even though they are listed on the W&N price list, and having cut mine out of the car, I'm a bit stuffed!

I have started to put the word out, but if anyone can help, please let me know.....

Thanks,

Martin.

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 8:30am

Hopefully it will be in primer on Friday and I'll get some more pictures!

Cheers,

Mart.

Edited by BMW250L - 12 May 2010 at 8:34am
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:25pm

I've got a bit carried away and have been buying new stuff for the restoration;

New 'old' stock mirrors, with fittings and rubbers.

A set of 'staggered' Alpina alloys - 7J x 16" Front and 8J x 16" Rears - they have beed refurbished and are mint. They are very rare, I understand, and I know they are not 'period' for the E3 - but I love them - and they bring my total wheel count for this car to 4 sets....

Must stop looking on ebay....

Cheers,

Mart.

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:25pm

Car is now in primer (and guide coat);

Still a very long way to go before paint goes on, but steady progress!

Cheers,

TC.

NeRo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:55pm
As we now have a dedicated E3 forum, I've moved your thread into it

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 10:16pm
Ah, just for me, eh?

No one will look at it again... 

It only got a look because it was in the 'general' section.

Cheers,

Mart.

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 4:52pm
Hello chaps,

Well, ever since Andrew E told me that the twin remote servos we crap and refurb was pointless, I have been looking for a solution.....

I knew that single circuit remote servos were availabe for MGB's, etc but it has taken me ages to find a twin circuit remote servo - which I now have!

They have sent me the spec diagram and it looks ok, but is in italiano, so we'll see......  Plus, it is cheaper than two single circuit servos, and will look tidier too.

Let me know if y'all can see any issues with my plan.....?

Cheers,

Martin.

Edited by BMW250L - 20 May 2010 at 4:57pm
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:17pm

Question;

Regarding these wheels that I have bought for the E3, what size tyres would they have run as standard?

Remembering they are 7x16 front and 8x16 rear, so I guess the tyre sizes are different front to rear...?

Cheers,

Martin.

AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 4:05pm
Looking like an astounding restoration. The twin servos were only for the RHD cars - LHD ones had a single vacuum servo/master cyl acting directly from the pedal but that's not an option here. That one you've posted up looks fine.
Tyre sizes are 205/55 front and 225/50 rear.
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 7:39pm
Thanks Andrew, top man!

I have gained a little more infor on the remote servo dilema....

The dual circuit one that I have found is a 1.9 : 1 ratio.

Whereas the single circuit ones, of which I will need two, range from 1.9 : 1 ratio upto 3.0 : 1 ratio.

Now, as I understand it, the higher the ratio the less pressue is required at the pedal, theyby making the car 'feel' more like a modern car.

So, I am still undecided whether to go for the dual, which would be cheaper and neater, or go for twins, which would be more expensive, but with a high ratio set-up is likely to be 'easier' to drive - in terms of transition from new car to very old....

What do you think chaps?

Cheers,

Mart.

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 9:45pm
Things are moving on fairly quickly at the Bodyshop.....

I saw the car on Thursday and the final prep was almost finished;

The update today is that the engine bay, inner boot, door shuts and the inside of all the panels have had top coat applied. Tomorrow they will shoot the rest of the car! I am very excited!

Popping over at lunchtime to see how they are getting on....

Cheers,

Mart.

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:33pm
Well, they have painted the inside of the doors, boot & bonnet, plus the inside of the boot and the engine bay so far....

They had already masked up for the next phase, so no pics yet of the 'bay or boot.

I understand that the body and outer panels will be painted tomorrow!

Cheers,

Martin.

Edited by BMW250L - 08 Jun 2010 at 10:39pm
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 1:34pm
Oh my goodness, the car has been painted and it is mint, and I mean MINT!

They have done such a good job, I am now worried.....  that I won't want to use it.....

Pics;

Bonnet has been painted, but not cut back or mopped yet - still looks like a mirror though!

Door are spotlessly perfect.

The roof is like glass.

Final cut-back on the boot before mopping begins.

They will rehang the door for me and I collect the car on Tuesday or Wednesday - oh, and part company with a not insignificant amount of cash!!!!

Cheers,

Mart.

Eric View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 10:19pm
 Hi Mart,
              Your car is looking fantastic. What are you going to do with the old wheels. I have a 1978 e12 520/6 and them wheels would look great on her. Are they for sale? You can pm me and I will give you my contact details. ERIC.
BMW are cool.
78. e12 520/6,
96. e36 316i coupe,
95. e34 518i sold,
My first real cars.
BMWCC member.
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2010 at 2:21am
Thanks Eric!

I feel an incredible responsibility towards the car now, which I didn't feel before, but the body shop have put so much work into it!!

Anyway, the wheels... you are welcome to bid me for them, as I will not use them... I have a choice of 7x14's or 7/8x16's for it now.... but, there are only 3 of the 6 x 14's you see on the car....  but they are in good nick and I will be happy to sell them, with the aged tyres....

So, make me an offer...

Cheers,

Martin.

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 9:30pm
Hi,

I picked the car up on Friday, after having a busy week trying to get my Golf ready for racing at the weekend.

We are also moving workshops, so things are bloody hectic at the moment!

My mates were keen to help, but based on the immaculate paint they are less keen to help with the refit, in case they scratch/damage it....

Much to my regret, the car went straight onto the ramp...... and was covered......

Then it was off to Castle Combe for the weekend racing!

I went from 12th to 6th in the race and came 1st in class!

The bad news is that I am off on holiday next Tuesday, and we still need to move our equipment, etc between workshops, so I won;t get onto the BMW for another 2 to 3 weeks - gutted!

Best,

Martin.

Edited by BMW250L - 22 Jun 2010 at 9:32pm
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 10:57pm
Right, the rebuild has begun!

Other events have slightly overtaken the rebuild, but we're back on track. To inspire me I got some tyres for the 16" Alpina's and stuck them on the car - I love them! These pictures do not do it justice, but the paint job is exceptional;

The roof is like a black mirror;

I've pinched the rear ramp in our new workshop so I can hoist the car up out of the way, when not fitting bits. It's a bit busy in the new 'shop!

Anyway, back to the job in hand;

Started with the door handles, which I pinched off another car as they were in better condition. Cleaned them up with Autosol and screwed them on.

The rear lights were next and were worse than I remembered, so plenty of cleaning ensued;

Rubbers perished.

Fittings broken.

A soak in hot soapy water seemed a good aproach.

I had to pull the reflector apart as there had been water ingress and they were grubby inside, but it all cleaned up very well.

Resealed them with silicone sealant - it does dry clear, but is unseen from the outside anyway.

Pleased with the result!

Then turned my attention to the main fittings and decided that they needed a lick of paint - chrome on the bulb side and satin black on the outer;

Quite pleased with the results, certainly 100% better than putting the old units back on!

Edited by BMW250L - 01 Sep 2010 at 11:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>