FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

E3 owners - where are you...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:04pm

Started to assemble other parts that will be required.

Fuel Pump - we're changing from mechanical to electronic;

Coupled with a Filter King fuel pressure regulator;

Fuel hose;

I had the radiator recored with an uprated core which will give about 40% more efficiency over the original;

Dropped the freshly powder coated tank in the hole;

I've also been polishing the brightwork, ready to refit;

I have polished the chrome with Autosol and rubbed the plastics and rubbers with celulose thinners - very effective at restoring aged rubbers, etc.

Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:08pm

Diff in!

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:09pm

Then, we were ready for the engine!

Deano and Rob helped giude it in the hole;

It was tight!

PAS Res in;

Rad in;

Oil Filter housing fitted;

Plug Leads on;

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:10pm

'Box in;

Clutch mounted;

Ready for the big lift;

Next up, fit the carbs!!

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:18pm

The carb kit was new from Webcon, as a direct upgrade kit for the BMW M30 engine, which I have, but it was far from an easy fit;

As you can see, the front carb manifold if very close to the thermostat housing and water pipes - in fact with the hose on you couldn't get the carb on.

So, a little thought and some engineering was required. We had a spare thermo housing so decided to chop the offending pipe off and rotate it through 180 degrees which bought it closer to the neighbouring pipe and moved it away from the carb. Luckily my pal Deano is a great fabricator and superb on the TIG;

After a little griding and a quick polish;

Its still close, but there is enough clearance, just!

Needless to say, the Webcon instructions didn't mention this 'issue' at all - goodness what you would do if you didn't have a Deano.....

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:19pm

I think one calls this 'the money shot';

So, that's all folks, for now anyway.

Really pushing forward now, the end is in sight!

Cheers,

Martin.
Gentil79 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentil79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 8:21pm
That's great work! looking forward to get mine as clean as that
Gentil Gomes da Costa
Motorhead View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:47am
Martin, looks wonderful and I'm REALLY liking the Webers.

We depart for Munich at 4pm 3rd June. No pressure then!

Edited by Motorhead - 05 May 2011 at 10:48am
1972 3.0CSL
1989 M635CSi Motorsport Edition
1989 Z1
davebrindlee36m3 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davebrindlee36m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 12:51pm
your doing a great job mate. and i.ve also found the quality of new parts from BMW to be very poor for my 1994 e36 m3. Unhappy
Motorhead View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 11:00am

Great job on the water bottles. Can I put mine through your dishwasher?

1972 3.0CSL
1989 Z1
AndrewE View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by BMW250L BMW250L wrote:

My plan with the 3.0Si/CSL rear brakes has not worked - fitting the spacer means that you lose too much of the wheel bolt thread to be safe ]

Use M535i E12 longer wheel bolts for the 7J 'Motorsport' wheel - part number 36139055942
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 8:39pm

We're getting there, finally!

I found that the new ventilated brake discs I had bought wouldn't fit, so some investigation showed that my car had solid narrow discs as standard and whilst I had bought the wider calipers to accomodate the ventilated discs, I had failed to realise that the rear hubs were 8mm longer on the cars that ran ventilated discs - so the hunt was on for some replacements.... 

These rotten rear arms gave up their hubs for the purpose. These were off a car 5 years younger than mine. Unfortunatley most have decayed to such a bad state, like this one, they are not worth saving.

Cleaned them up and a quick paint before fitting;

Fuel tank was in good condition and had been powder coated on the outside, but had a little surface rust on the inside, so used caustic acid to clean and epoxy tank sealer - no pics of the inside, sorry, but the sealer clings to the surface and leaves a clean surface in the tank - like new.

Tank, in place, mid fitment;

To aid cooling in traffic, etc, I've fitted an electric fan to assist the viscous fan;

Thermo switch fitted, required a nut to be welded to the thremo housing;

Have fitted an oil breather tank, rather than breath from the rocker cover into the Webers - there is no easy way to do this, so the tank was the best option. It has been hidden from view under the battery tray, so the 'bay still looks stock. The fitting on the top was anodised blue, so I painted it satin black;

Re-chromed bumpers and re-zinced fittings turned up from my pal in Wales - more on that later;

Next, it was time for some bodywork, trim and glass.......

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:26pm

Glass was fitted, with new seals, by the boss man at the local glass co;

For the fitting of the bonnet and boot I needed a couple of extra pairs of hands to ensure no damage was caused to the freshly painted panels - I say freshly painted, they had been done at the same time as the rest of the car last year, but have been carefully stored in the workshop since - they still had the brown paper covering them that the bodyshop had taped over them - all good though;

On to the bonnet - it was a nightmare with 4 way adjustment.... we got there in the end though;

Rear number plate fitted;

Rear seat fitted and tested;

Next up - Electrics

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:34pm

Thankfully no smoked escaped from the wiring loom, which was a bonus, but there were a few issues with corroded connections and aged bulbs, holders and fuses;

I got all the rear lights working, but couldn't get the indicators working - so in the end got an Auto Electrician chap to come and have a look at them and a couple of other issues. He spent about 5 mins sorting the indicators..... easy when you know what you are doing! He sorted all the electrical bits and pieces for me, spent 2 hours in the workshop and charged me just £50 - bargain!

Gentil79 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentil79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:45pm
That is really good work and  that license plate is awsome!  haven't I seen that car being advertised on Ebay a few years ago? Anyway I wish i had a workshop like yours... I've juyst lost my garage and my restoration is now on  hold. keep up with the good work!
Gentil Gomes da Costa
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:46pm

Now the hubs have been replaced, the underside is nearly complete, so we've bled the brakes and clutch and made sure everything was tight - a few shots of the finished chassis, it will never look like this again.....

Oh, and another look at those carb's;

More to follow tomorrow!

Cheers,

Mart.

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Gentil79 Gentil79 wrote:

That is really good work and  that license plate is awsome!  haven't I seen that car being advertised on Ebay a few years ago? Anyway I wish i had a workshop like yours... I've juyst lost my garage and my restoration is now on  hold. keep up with the good work!

Hi. Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, the car was on ebay nearly two of years ago - that is where I bought it. The guy I got it from had only had it about 6 or 8 weeks and decided it was too much work for him, so he sold it, to me!

I love the number plate too, it was registered new on 1st December 1972 with that plate from new by the BMW dealer.

I'm very lucky to have access to such a great workshop - I share it with 3 mates who have similar interests/hobbies - so it is not a commercial workshop and is maily used evenings and weekends. It cost quite a lot to rent, but between us it is worth it.

Hope you get back onto your resto soon - what is it - have you posted up any pictures?

Cheers,

Martin.

Gentil79 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentil79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 10:20pm

my resto project is a 1983 323i E30, have a look on the E30 section Smile

Gentil Gomes da Costa
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 9:37am

I'm about two weeks behind on my update posts and we have been racing towards finishing this car so that I can take it back to the BMW factory in Munich on a trip with a couple of other idiots is BMW's. Anyway, the car is finished - just - and I'm leaving today at 1300hrs!

So, I'll have to post the previous two weeks after this, but I've not got time at the mo.

So, here's the car - finished (but with some interior trim still to do, etc).

MoT;

Photshoot for magazine completed yesterday at local airfield;

Rolling road tune last night;

So, i'm off in a couple of hours - wish me luck!

Cheers,

Mart.

Motorhead View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 10:59am
We got us a convoy!

I'll be round at 1pm for the short road test to Munich and back!!!!!! Are we, and by that I mean you, mad?
1972 3.0CSL
1989 Z1
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 11:02am
Yes, I think we are!

BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 8:50pm
I attended the BMW Festival at Gaydon on Sunday - was invited to display on the BMW Classic - Park Lane stand.

There was another E3 there too!

Graham's 3.3 Li is a perfect example and has a lush interior, we got a shot together at the end of the day.

Piers, who owns the Silver E9 CSL, parked next to mine, compared triple weber instalations - we called a draw.

A good 'classic' turnout.

All good fun!!!

Edited by BMW250L - 17 Aug 2011 at 8:52pm
m.mattheou View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.mattheou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 3:16pm
hey guys 
i just baught a e3 2500 to restore and i am looking for body panels and i cant find anywhere.
Does anyone know where i can get parts for these cars?
BMW250L View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW250L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:28am

Hi Marios.

Where are you based?

I bought panels from several sources, but these guys are good and have excellent stock - but not cheap!

I have a pair of fibre glass front wings that I would consider selling....

Alternatively, I have managed to buy lots of parts and panels from Germany via ebay.de - just search BMW E3 and thousands of parts are listed.

Let me know if you need any further guidance.

Best regards,

Martin.
Gentil79 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentil79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by BMW250L BMW250L wrote:

Next was prepping the engine bay ready for the installation of the fresh motor.

Had to get the brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, brake servo's and hoses fitted - much easier whilst the engine is out;

This is what came off the car - what a mess! Well, we won't be using any of it - just for reference;

Clutch Master Cylnder refubished;

New Brake Master Cylinder;

Rear Brake Compensator Valve refurbished and repainted;

Replacement aftermarket brake servo's fitted;

Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders Fitted;

Plumbing with freshly made braided hoses;

Expansion Tank mounted in correct position;

Rear Brake Compensator Valve fitted;

Clutch Slave hose fitted and ready for flex braided line;

Front Brake Lines grommeted through inner wing;

The front brake lines and fitting, whilst copied in braided hoses, directly match the factory set-up and routing.

Very pleased with the bake installation, neat, tidy and factory looking.

Hi There... Sorry, revining an old thread, but this was a great restoration project!
Where did you get the servos for your car? Mine is a '74 E12 auto and I think the remote servos need replacing at some point.

Many thanks,

Gentil
Gentil Gomes da Costa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234