FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*** BMW Car Club GB website - see https://bmwcarclubgb.uk/ ***

*** Looking to buy or sell? ~ Checkout our BMW Car Club GB classifieds ***

Hotel Weekend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hotel Weekend
    Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 11:00am
There are quite a few of us living in France, and I wondered if there would be any support for an annual hotel weekend, perhaps during late September/early October?

A suitable venue would be somewhere in central France, easily reached from anywhere, such as the Hotel du Parc at Salbris, on the D2020. off the A71 autoroute sortie 4.

See their website at:   leparcsalbris.com/Accueil.htm

Any takers?

Edited by Mike Fishwick - 08 Feb 2011 at 11:02am
Sponsored Links
BMW Car Club Forum Homepage

safe1 View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member
BMWCC Club President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safe1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 5:08pm
Mike-link not working.   Could be interesting, but for a little longer than a weekend bearing in mind the costs in getting there. Whats the weather like for 2nd/3rd weeks in October and is it still busy tourist wise?.

How do we get post codes for these locations?.
Gofastsafe
Mike Fishwick View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 11:08am
It works if you copy and paste it into your browser, John.

UK satnavs seldom seem to accept non-UK post codes, but French post codes are not like UK ones anyway - our code, for example, covers at least eight villages!

October weather around Salbris is usually quite good, but for a longer (2-3 days?) stay I would look for somewhere else, as apart from Orleans the area is a bit low on  interest for most people.

One very interesting area is around Koblenz, and I know of a really good hotel in the area, but maybe at 300+ miles from Calais it's a bit too far for our members!  We can discuss some options during our trip through the alps in July.
ChrisLux View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisLux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 12:13pm

How about a visit to Luxembourg ??
It's a nice place to visit for a w/e (or longer of course) , some nice driving roads
and scenery etc .
It's 475 kms from the Chunnel (3 1/12-4hrs) and also approx the same time from
Paris .
And 1/2 term hols end Oct/beginning Nov are generally not too bad weather wise .

Chris

'97 E36 Alpina B8 4.6 Touring (19#27) , Individual Tannen Grun metallic

'05 E53 X5 3.0d re-mapped, Sapphire Black metallic - Sold

'12 E70 3.0d re-mapped, Sapphire Black metallic
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 12:26pm
My time during Half Term is already accounted for, but it sounds like a god idea, which should attract members from the UK, if the price is right - any ideas?
ChrisLux View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisLux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 2:50pm

The Hotel Intercontinental/Hilton outside Lux I think you can get a w/e rate for Eur85/90 per night .
There's a Novotel closer to centre which is approx Eur 130 a night .

There are a couple of hotels by Remich on the Mosel , but I don't know how much they are .
I'm sure there are also some B&B's around which shud be reasonably priced . And if there's any brave people interested , there are numerous campsites dotted all over Lux .

As far as things to do ; obviously Lux-Ville to wander round with the cathedral and the casemates .
There's all the vineyards down on the Mosel to 'test' out .
Further afield , the lakes at Esch and Echternach , numerous castles , the GoodYear race/test circuit , the forest at Bambousch with children's play area .

That's just off the top of my head , but if there was a group genuinely interested I could try and make up some sort of itinery to give some more ideas .

Chris

'97 E36 Alpina B8 4.6 Touring (19#27) , Individual Tannen Grun metallic

'05 E53 X5 3.0d re-mapped, Sapphire Black metallic - Sold

'12 E70 3.0d re-mapped, Sapphire Black metallic
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 6:05pm
Are the rates per room, or per person?

A good value hotel, with a coach trip to somewhere of culture, followed by lunch and a wine tasting, wouldn't fail!

The key to attracting a decent number of people seems to be arranging a leader to shepherd them from the UK, as so many BMWCC members have a passion for driving in convoy . . .
I_MNL View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I_MNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:41am
I am in for this! No matter what car I am going to bring...Cool Just say dates and place Smile
And the name is Marie-Noëlle or nick name MNL! NOT Marie or Noëlle alone

Citizen of Earth...Explorer of Life!
I_MNL View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I_MNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 12:55am
No progress on this front? Beer I was thinking of January...

Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Fishwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2012 at 10:50am
January is bitterly cold in notrhern and central France- not really the weather for most people!

The problem is that our UK members seem unwilling to drive anywhere more than about 20 miles from home, and none of our France-based members seem interested at all.
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 8:03am
I have to confess the prospect of driving around France in the winter does not appeal to me very much. I think it would be nice perhaps Easter onwards? Personally as I get older I dont like "roughing" it. No way campsite for me, I dont really do formula one, Ibis, campanile end of hotels either.

The (any) trip has to meet my personal minimum standard for any real interest. This might sound arrogant and pompous, but having spent 30 years global travelling, albiet at others expense I know what I like and I know what I dont.

I have slept on the beach is East africa, run the gaunlet in the Ivory Coast, seen people whipped in Vietnam, block holes in hotel wall by cutting up coke cans to stop rats getting in in South America. Spent 14 nights in freezing winter, in a one man canvass tent, on the Brecon Beacons (South Wales) in a Forces winter survial course; and survived, just!

So give me the fluffy pillows, room service, soft towels and perfumed soap and the warm sunshine, washed down with a glass of Chablis and a Dover sole off the bone!
n
Norrie View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 8:18am
Interesting comment about most people not wanting to travel more than 20 miles. I did 5000 miles with the BMWCCGB from March to Nov 2012. I tried virtually everything that was going within the UK. Mostly good, some a waste of time and money.

Like many things it depends upon ones personal circumstances, however if undertaking a trip to the continent perhaps for the first time or frist time in a number of years, I guess its not just the fuel and food and board. You need the compliant car kit and breatherliser stuff dont you, then you have to tell you insurer and get covered, then you have to make sure you have recovery and breakdown cover and probably travel insurance.

Now again I am going to sound like a wise guy and having travelled to all parts of the UK and Eire, but when one talks to people about Scotland for example and discovers that the majority have never been there or to the West Welsh coast. My point is they dont need to mess about doing any of those onerous things to go somewhere new and different. I am not making any direct correlation between the continent and Wales or Scotland other than it is new territory for some.

In fact I am now inspired to organise a Scots tour in 2013, there is much to see and some great hotels.
n
I_MNL View Drop Down
Club Member
Club Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I_MNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Mike Fishwick Mike Fishwick wrote:

January is bitterly cold in notrhern and central France- not really the weather for most people!

The problem is that our UK members seem unwilling to drive anywhere more than about 20 miles from home, and none of our France-based members seem interested at all.

Anyway this December or January I hope I am out in France and the plan is to go to Greece
of course driving and by ferry-boat

So, if I can, I shall visit you at last Mike Smile

I will have the Jag XJ with the winter tyres on though...

Post Reply Post Reply